Old 15-12-2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Damage to blooms?

I have Lc. Walter Winchell in bloom. The edges of the petals and lip
look like the pigment didn't make it all the way to the edge, so the
blooms appear to be outlined in white. The veins in the bloom show up
as white streaks. It has bloomed for me before, a medium purple with a
darker lip, without the white on the petals.

The growing are is heated to between 55 and 60 F. As cold as it's
been, it may have gotten colder. I watered with a pump sprayer on
Monday (2 days ago), but don't recall spraying the buds. The orchid
receives light from a SE window. It has been cold outside and
overcast, so the room hasn't been open. I didn't see any indication of
condensation dripping on the blooms. Fans are running.

Could this be because of cool temperatures, too much light, or a
fungus? Should I have the plant tested for virus? Sorry, but didn't
have the camera with me, so haven't taken photographs. Will post
photos later in the week.

Nancy