Old 24-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Mike

Default climbers

On 22 Mar 2003, (heidi) wrote:
I am new to gardening, however I would like to plant a low maintenece
rapid growing climber along my picket fence. I live in Wilmington,
North Carolina, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of
climbing rose I should plant. PLEASE HELP ME!

Hi Heidi,

I tried to look your zone up on a tiny little map. It looks like you're in
zone 7 or 8, right? You have nearly limitless choices. Are you looking for
a specific color? How much space are you trying to cover? Is it important
to you that the rose be fragrant? I hesitate to give you a recommendation
without knowing what you'd like.

I can tell you my favorite climber (so far) is Sombreuil. It's a big
beautiful white that's very healthy and disease resistant and blooms
throughout the season. The fragrance is wonderful. I think it would look
fantastic on a picket fence. The only drawback I can think of is that it is
a thorny booger.

You can see some pictures of it he
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5858

The helpmefind site is very useful when you're looking for a rose. You can
go to the main search page for roses he
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/searchPlants.php

I hope that helps, if just a little. If you want to post another message
with some more details about what type of rose you'd like, I'd be happy to
give you some more suggestions.

Good luck!

Mike
z8TX