Old 15-12-2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Master Gardener program

Gemstone Rivers wrote:

I'm not sure if this is nationwide or just in the Indiana area (sponsored
by Perdue University) but has anyone ever taken the Master Gardener course?
What was it like? Was it worth it? Opinions welcome.

The Master Gardener program was started in 1972 by an innovative
Extension Office Agent in the Seattle, Washington, who reasoned that
well-trained volunteers could respond to many of the everyday homeowner
questions, freeing him and his colleagues for more technical and
difficult problems. Volunteers such as Extension Homemakers and 4-H
Leaders, had always been a part of the Extension Service but never in
the area of homeowner horticulture. With this in mind, the Extension
Agent selected, trained and certified volunteers as Master Gardeners.
They soon succeeded in meeting his desired objectives -in fact they
exceeded his expectations. And so it was, the Master Gardener Program
began. Since that time, the Master Gardener Program has grown and is
now active in 48 states in the United States and four Canadian
provinces. Not every county in these states has the program.

The program differs from state to state and from county to county. It
usually requires a certification process which the classes you refer to
would be. Then it usually has a service-hours requirement, so many per
year. Typically Master Gardeners answer questions via phone, speak at
public events and participate in community gardening displays. In some
counties it works closely with the county agent. In others it just does
gardening chores for the county. It is what the state administrators
and county agents want it to be. In some areas it is open to everyone
who volunteers and in some areas it is limited to a certain number of
people and becomes a very status conscious group. The training
includes: plant taxonomy, plant pathology, entomology, taxonomy,
cultural growing requirements, wildlife control, and integrated pest
management.

Purdue has one of the best extension programs and should have a good
Master Gardener Program. Check out their website at:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/mg/

In Indiana, Master Gardeners must first achieve rank of Master Gardener
Intern by completing required training and passing exam with 70%
success. Then MG Interns are required to volunteer a minimum of 35
hours to be certified as a Purdue Master Gardener. Purdue University
Extension county and state staff provide instruction free of charge.
Materials and expenses for the series of classes range from $75 to $150.

I am not a Master Gardener but know many people who are. I chose to get
my horticultural training through Longwood Gardens classes and do
horticultural volunteer work through the American Rhododendron Society.
Our local Master Gardener program has a great group of people but aren't
looking to increase the size of the group. The Master Gardener program
my be a good group for you or you may be interested in seeing
opportunities at local public gardens or in local horticultural clubs.

The nearest chapter of the American Rhododendron Society near you is the
Midwest Chapter and has a homepage at:

http://www.midwestars.org/index.html
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6