Old 15-12-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gemstone Rivers Gemstone Rivers is offline

Default Master Gardener program

Stephen Henning wrote in
news
Gemstone Rivers wrote:

I'm not sure if this is nationwide or just in the Indiana area
(sponsored by Perdue University) but has anyone ever taken the Master
Gardener course? What was it like? Was it worth it? Opinions
welcome.

The Master Gardener program was started in 1972 by an innovative
Extension Office Agent in the Seattle, Washington, who reasoned that
well-trained volunteers could respond to many of the everyday
homeowner questions, freeing him and his colleagues for more technical
and difficult problems. Volunteers such as Extension Homemakers and
4-H Leaders, had always been a part of the Extension Service but never
in the area of homeowner horticulture. With this in mind, the
Extension Agent selected, trained and certified volunteers as Master
Gardeners. They soon succeeded in meeting his desired objectives -in
fact they exceeded his expectations. And so it was, the Master
Gardener Program began. Since that time, the Master Gardener Program
has grown and is now active in 48 states in the United States and four
Canadian provinces. Not every county in these states has the program.

The program differs from state to state and from county to county. It
usually requires a certification process which the classes you refer
to would be. Then it usually has a service-hours requirement, so many
per year. Typically Master Gardeners answer questions via phone,
speak at public events and participate in community gardening
displays. In some counties it works closely with the county agent. In
others it just does gardening chores for the county. It is what the
state administrators and county agents want it to be. In some areas
it is open to everyone who volunteers and in some areas it is limited
to a certain number of people and becomes a very status conscious
group. The training includes: plant taxonomy, plant pathology,
entomology, taxonomy, cultural growing requirements, wildlife control,
and integrated pest management.

Purdue has one of the best extension programs and should have a good
Master Gardener Program. Check out their website at:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/mg/

In Indiana, Master Gardeners must first achieve rank of Master
Gardener Intern by completing required training and passing exam with
70% success. Then MG Interns are required to volunteer a minimum of
35 hours to be certified as a Purdue Master Gardener. Purdue
University Extension county and state staff provide instruction free
of charge. Materials and expenses for the series of classes range from
$75 to $150.

I am not a Master Gardener but know many people who are. I chose to
get my horticultural training through Longwood Gardens classes and do
horticultural volunteer work through the American Rhododendron
Society. Our local Master Gardener program has a great group of
people but aren't looking to increase the size of the group. The
Master Gardener program my be a good group for you or you may be
interested in seeing opportunities at local public gardens or in local
horticultural clubs.

The nearest chapter of the American Rhododendron Society near you is
the Midwest Chapter and has a homepage at:

http://www.midwestars.org/index.html

Oh, THANK YOU for all that. I did check out the Perdue site previously
but I wanted some personal opinions on the program. I had no idea for
anything I had seen that it was a national program. Thanks again for
taking the time to write that all up. I'll look into the ARS, too.