Old 15-12-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Poultry manure

We wrote :
(2)spread it on a bed in the veg patch and use it for ,, beans ?

Ah! I'll re-phrase that ",,,, runner and climbing french beans" !!

I would spread it at the bottom of a trench now,
left open all winter for next year's broadbeans. We like broadbeans a
lot, mostly eaten raw,

Yes, but, by the time one throws away the stem, unzips and throws away
the pod then peels the bean skins, one is not left with much for all
the effort !! Just a couple of wee cotyledons (sp? terminology?)
So inefficient I think, so I dont )

Yes, it was the leaving uncovered bit that I am not sure about.
I remember that wood ash is good for washing the (something?? my
brain has gone blank !) into the clay to improve the clay.
But with poultry litter it is mostly ammonia, nitrite and nitrate,
would this be retained by the clay or would it go to waste I wonder ?

I also seem to remember something about not digging in uncomposted
woodshavings/chippings type material because of errrr,, nitrogen(?)
robbing ?

hence my quandary !

You lucky lucky man.
- I'm annoyed with you ;o)