Old 15-12-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT MikeCT is offline

Default Poultry manure

"WaltA" wrote in a message:
snip
I know it is normally called 'hot' !
(and it pongs a bit of rampant ammonia as well)
so I normally leave it to 'mature' for about a 6month or 1year in a
compost heap before use.

----------
My parents kept chickens, ducks and goats. All the manure, including the
straw bedding was left to 'mature' in a very large pit for at least two
years.
I remember we grew marrows and cucumbers on the heap the following
year and always won first prizes at the annual garden fete, much to the
annoyance of the other villagers. Each year, as the heap grew in size,
grass snakes used it and the warmth as an ideal home for their eggs.
The snakes too grew into large specimens and although not poisonous,
had sharp fangs!

MikeCT