Old 15-12-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Poultry manure

WaltA wrote:
Yes, but, by the time one throws away the stem, unzips and throws away
the pod then peels the bean skins, one is not left with much for all
the effort !! Just a couple of wee cotyledons (sp? terminology?)
So inefficient I think, so I dont )

Not much of a slow lover ain't ya g

Yes, it was the leaving uncovered bit that I am not sure about.
I remember that wood ash is good for washing the (something?? my
brain has gone blank !) into the clay to improve the clay.
But with poultry litter it is mostly ammonia, nitrite and nitrate,
would this be retained by the clay or would it go to waste I wonder ?

Woodash makes the soil very alkaline but the science bit as regard to
clay and amonnia I dunno. On our clay patch I use lots of OM in autumn
and 5 months later it's ready for sowing without any dig. I use woodash
on my paths - makes them harder and compact the soil better. Make a pit
like Mike suggested and live to enjoy. Make sure you don't fall in with
the snakes shivers