Old 15-12-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Poultry manure

WaltA wrote:
Yes, but, by the time one throws away the stem, unzips and throws away
the pod then peels the bean skins, one is not left with much for all
the effort !! Just a couple of wee cotyledons (sp? terminology?)
So inefficient I think, so I dont )

No much of a slow lover ain't ya g

Yes, it was the leaving uncovered bit that I am not sure about.

Sounds like you've got tons. You've got some of it mixed with leafmold
- as you know, if you leave it now in trench for your veg patch, by the
time of sowing, 3/4 months it would be lovely. If you don't want to do
more bins ... do a pit like Mike suggested and live to enjoy I suppose
and try not to fall in.

I remember that wood ash is good for washing the (something?? my
brain has gone blank !) into the clay to improve the clay.

I'd say woodash is good at making my path hard and help compact the
soil. Dunno about the science bit linked to the clay as far as poultry
manure and levels of amonnia are concerned. I use lots of OM on my clay
patch - works wonder. I leave from autumn till sowing time - then
hardly dig in, if at all. But I wouldn't use it now - not until it is
fully decomposed. I'm going to look into this choock/woodchip mix. What
did you do before? Did you get the chickens recently?