Old 15-12-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Hardy annuals

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"MikeCT" wrote in message

-----

After a few failures put down to this summer's heat, I too had a few gaps

fill in my borders. Undoubtedly the most successful fillers were Mr.
Fothergill's Cosmos mixtures. Although they didn't come into their own

until
August, they proved to be quite magnificent.
As an added bonus, the slugs and snails left them alone too.

MikeCT

I will look them up, my mum always does them and they look fantastic in late
September early October. I normally avoid anything that involves work during
the season but this coming year I don't think I can avoid it! (I hate gaps
more!!) and if the slugs give them a chance so much the better.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

I was talking to an urgler recently about Chocolate Cosmos, which I now
treat as a weed. It was beautiful in the one bed in which it was
planted until it seeded itself everywhere, including the vegetable and
fruit gardens and cracks in the paving stones It proves what one
urgler wrote about weeds many years ago; that weeds are merely unwanted
plants. If you can keep it under control Charlie, it is a delightful
addition in a border.