Old 15-12-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Damage to blooms?

wendy7 wrote:
Nancy, wondering if you have used any systemic type pesticide lately.
A number of years ago I had a few catts that had streaky, blotchy flowers.
Since I religously tag & note everything, I noticed all the ********ed flowers
were from a group that Cygon was used on!
I segregated them & they all bloomed normally in their later years.
I would isolate Walter being extra careful with him, ie touching,trimming etc.,
until he blooms again.
Good luck.
--
Cheers Wendy

I alternated spraying with orthene and Gardensafe, a citronene and neem
oil based spray in October before I moved my plants inside for the
winter. The final spray was with the citronene and neem, the plants
were still dripping when I carred them inside. Have sprayed no
chemicals since then, about 6 weeks to 2 months. I don't like to spray
with toxins or systemics because the room is tightly sealed. The
plants were misted about a month ago before the weather turned cold.

Until the frigid blast around the 1st of December, we had unseasonably
high temps and the doors were open for fresh cross ventilation. I heat
with oil filled electric space heaters, haven't seen any sign of them
leaking. Maybe the room hasn't been getting enough fresh air. It was
closed up tight, and with the snow, I didn't go in for a week. CO2
depletion?

Oh darn. Wally is so cute, it is hard to keep my hands off him.

Nancy