Old 16-12-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anna M. Miller Anna M. Miller is offline

Default Master Gardener program

I completed the Master Gardner program in Illinois several years ago, and
sorry to say, I didn't find it worthwhile.

The training was for beginners, for 6 wks. there were no reference books in
the extension office where I served my 40 hrs service (I brought my own from
home), and all the programs were on weekdays when I couldn't attend or not
local.

The title is nice, but I didn't get anything out of the program. Now I
attend the Master Gardener lectures in New Mexico where we moved, but will
not repeat the program to get certified here. These lectures here are a bit
better, at night and local and open to everyone, so occasionally I can take
advantage of them.

I guess it depends on where you are how good the program is. If you have a
horticulture background, you may not learn anything useful. If you enjoy
working with the public, you will probably find it very fulfilling.

Just my 2 cents worth

"Gemstone Rivers" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is nationwide or just in the Indiana area (sponsored
by Perdue University) but has anyone ever taken the Master Gardener
course?
What was it like? Was it worth it? Opinions welcome.

Thx.