Old 16-12-2006, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Auto Tech Auto Tech is offline

Default Carbuerator Overhaul on a Huskavarna 154 Se

Hi Restrob, I had that carb completely apart and saw no screen. I
replaced it's needle and arm and diaphram and on the bottom I replaced
the gasket and the floopy type diaphram that opened and closed ports
and saw no sign of a screen. I looked and figured there had to be but
did not see it anywhere and since the overhaul she is somewhat useable
but lacks horse and her performance is lousy and needs twekaing all the
time. I did start at 1 turn each screw for starting point and opened
it from there. Like I said I have overhauled all brands of car carbs
over the years but this timy little carb was new to me and if there is
a screen hidden where is it ??

restrorob wrote:
Auto Tech Wrote:
I had developed a severe stall condition especially when you tried to
use high rpm jets. I bought a carb kit and overhauled the carb BUT
lacked the information on settings internally BUT the carb did not
look
very complicated. I am a A class Ford Technition and have loads of
experience on lawn tractors with B&S and Tucemseh but really have no
experience with 2 cycle engines and carbs. I am also having trouble
with chain stretch and my chain is only a few months old. BUT top item
is low on power and dogging while cutting thick wood and Misquite.
She
alsways seems to need variances on fuel mixture as she is used and it
should not need this one setting should do it. I live in Nm and cut
wood daily with the saw for heat purposes. This saw is a critical
tool
for everyday while winter lasts.

Any help is appreciated..

There is a small fuel in-let screen inside the carb., This screen gets
glazed over from fuel and restricts fuel flow. It is hard to see the
glazing so should be sprayed out with carb. & choke spray cleaner. Also
the fuel filter should be checked, These little engines must have a free
flowing filter with no restriction. Screw the adjusters in all the way
then back low speed out one turn, High speed one and a half turn. This
is a starting point for fine tuning once started.

As for chain stretch, That is caused in most part from the chain
getting in the dirt while cutting. Use a shovel or something to lift
the logs little as an inch sliding something under to get it off the
ground before cutting. Also if the chain is stretched badly check the
sprocket for grooves, Grooves in the sprocket adds to chain stretch
also. If there are grooves in the sprocket replace both sprocket and
chain as a pair, Never install a new chain on a grooved up sprocket it
will only cause the chain to stretch fast like you stated.

--
restrorob