Old 16-12-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Lionhead Goldfish outdoors

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Zëbulon" wrote in message
I'll keep everyone posted on that. :-) The inground ponds don't have
the same fluctuating temps as these above ground tubs. Due to an
occasional frog getting through the nets, I wouldn't keep really
*valuable* fish outside anyway. These are real nice lionheads and bubble
eyes but all were under $20 locally. Another thing I've noticed. The
water-bubble-eye compete for food just fine with their faster brothers,
the Shubunkins.

If any die I'll let the group know - just as I did with the little koi
who was gill-netted and killed by the net over the water lily's pot.
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö ~~~~ }((((({*

My pond fish are strictly common goldies, shubunkin,
comets, and minnows - the usual hardy species. But
I enjoyed reading about ZB's experiences with the
species generally considered less hardy, as well as
Jan's cautions.

Because of predators I wouldn't keep really expensive GF outdoors no matter
the climate. I also believe (speaking only for myself) they have more
chance of being parasitized out doors. Even the nets don't keep out bird
droppings, newts, small frogs and small snakes. Can they carry parasites
from one pond to another? I don't know.... I can't see why not.

Many of the posts I've read on rec.ponds have been
about fish (like koi) or structures (like waterfalls) that
I have no intention of adding to my ponds. But I
think that's the attraction of hobby-specific
newsgroups, that we can read and discuss a wide
range of interests, not just our own personal narrow
interests/experiences/beliefs.

The exchange above is a good example. I don't
know who's "right" about goldfish hardiness; the
point is the exchange of information is interesting
and potentially useful.

Gail

I've learned a lot on this NG over the years. You can always try a few
inexpensive fancy GF and see how they do in your own area, under your
conditions. Although my comets and Shubunkins always made it through the
winter here in the ponds, they didn't always survive in the barrels.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.