Old 16-12-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Hardy annuals

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Sue" wrote
What about Cornflowers, Clarkia, Larkspur, Scabious, and Opium
poppies. You could try some new varieties of Helianthus - I rather
fancy some of the deep red shades they have now.

How do you get on with the larkspur sown direct in the ground? I may
well add some opium poppies to my list as well as they keep coming
back for years, although mine have now turned to being all double
pinks, good time to get some new blood perhaps.

Larkspurs grew well here sown direct even though I'm not very scientific
about it. All I did was scatter the seed in suitable areas, let them get
on with it and then thinned out later. We had a mix of blue with some
white which I was very pleased with, and they self-sowed again for the
following year.

I've nabbed seed from my MIL's double pink opium poppies for this coming
year, as hers all seemed to be sturdier and more multi-headed than mine.

My absolute favourite ones though started out as 'Black Peony' which was
a sumptuous deep dark burgundy double, but yes the seedlings do change
after a few years and there were too many reversions to single reds last
summer, so I may get some fresh seed for those.

--
Sue