Old 16-12-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Colin Jacobs Colin Jacobs is offline

Default Clematis for poor soil

Clematis Montana is a great shade/ poor soil climber. will also tolerate a
north facing plot.
prepare the hole with well rotted compost ad dress with bone meal withal
liquid feed (Baby Bio) in the growing season add a mulch around the base say
woodchips.
Good luck.

"judith lea" wrote in message
ps.com...

jane wrote:

Judith
I bought a Gillian Blades a few years ago for the front door side
trellis. It flowered the first season then got bad clematis wilt. I
wasn't happy, but I'd planted it very deeply in case! Sure enough it
came storming back, missed a second year of flowering and since then
has been superb. Last year was about 6m high and covered with 5"
blooms. It's in the lee of the house so water's a bit short, gets its
base scrabbled by cats, and shares its root run with a rampant yellow
climbing rose. (Which was lopped back before the clem was planted:
*that* grew back too...) To add even more !!!!s, it also shares its
root run with a seemingly perennial chilean glory vine.

I've got a photo I could email you if you want!

jane

That would be great, thanks. I have bought 3 Gillian Blades - for a
long, long fence, how many metres do you think three would cover, I
mean in length rather than height.

Judith Lea - at home