Old 16-12-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Clearing site of Brambles

Colin Jacobs wrote:
My new Allotment plot it coved in c50 years of Brambles, other than using a
brush-cutter blade to cut them down how does on get to kill the root? any
suitable weed killers?
Thanks

Col.

Colin, before I post, I have to say I am not an expert bgardener by any
means, but this is what worked for me when we bought a farmhouse in
France with the same problem. We cut the lot down to the bare earth.
When the very new and tender growth appeared, we sprayed it with a very
nasty killer for brambles, available at garden centres. I have the odd
one or two brambles appearing now and agin and I take off the growth
down to a few leaves at the base, put some glyochowhatsit into a
sandwich bag, put the growth of bramble in, put a little of the glycho
in, use the twist tie and just leave, it will take it to the root and
hopefully kill it. There is stuff available to get rid of brambles in
my local Notcutts, if you want, I can go and take a look at the label
and let you have further information.