Old 17-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_2_] Sally Thompson[_2_] is offline

Default OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:38:02 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 16/12/06 22:19, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and
what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

Sacha,
Unless you make a habit of visiting 'unusual' websites, or opening
suspicious emails, you will experience less trouble with your Mac alone than
you will with your Mac plus Norton. If you do feel vulnerable then a simple
firewall is all you need.
In the meantime you should abandon the update and uninstall the Norton.

That seems to be the overall view. I'll try to get the money back but it
would almost be worth losing it to lose the hassle, too! OTOH, I've had
Norton for *years* without this problem, which is why I'm
surprised/irritated/annoyed etc.
You say a 'simple firewall' but which, how do I find and instal it? I'm a
computer user of the switch on the engine and drive variety. Please
recommend something, if you feel able to do so. I'd be most grateful.
I certainly don't visit 'unusual' websites unless you feel Amazon comes into
that category and I am scrupulously careful about not opening attachments
from people I don't know or do not expect to receive them from.
Thank you for your advice.

If you are using Tiger (and maybe earlier versions, which I wouldn't know
about), you have a firewall built in - no need to download anything or part
with any hard-earned cash. Go to System Preferences -- Sharing --
Firewall. If you're not sure what to set, try the Help files or rummage
around he http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk