Old 17-12-2006, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Clearing site of Brambles

"Colin Jacobs" wrote in message

My new Allotment plot it coved in c50 years of Brambles, other than

using a
brush-cutter blade to cut them down how does on get to kill the

root? any
suitable weed killers?

The best product to use is blackberry/tree killer which has an active
ingredient of Triclopyr at 50g/L.

The best time to do it is when they are actively growing ie spring,
but I've cleared off the dead stuff in winter and then sprayed in
spring (or painted on neat solution using an old paint brush). I can
imagine that the plot looks fairly impenitrable but dead crud is
fairly easily cleaned off with a good set of long handled parrot beak
branch loppers cutting it into short manageable bits. If you do this
you'll be amazed at how small a pile of dead stuff you have in
comparison to the huge bushes that you started with.