Old 17-12-2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Lionhead Goldfish outdoors

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Zëbulon" wrote in message
I assume you mean rosy-red minnows?

Yep. Sorry, I should have specified. I recall when
I bought the first batch the salesperson asking what
I was going to feed them to, and I replied they were
going into my pond. I got an odd look. Ok, so
feeder fish probably aren't the best stock for ponds,
but I'm a minimalist ponder, and the minnows have
done great, despite their dubious beginnings. I have
few rosy reds left; most are now the steelhead color
(if that's the right word).

=====================
These minnows are great little fish for keeping the mosquito population in
control for those who don't want goldfish or koi, or who have small ponds.
There were two conditions where they didn't do well for me. One was a pool
out in the full sun that became too warm in summer. It was too far from the
house to aerate and I think the heat killed them as they did die off one at
a time. The other is the 3 barrels beside the iris bed. The only thing I
can think of there is the lack of aeration as the water doesn't get all that
warm in summer. It may have been lack of aeration alone in both cases.

They did fine in a partially shaded, aerated and filtered in-ground 150g
pool closer to the house. I haven't found a dead one in there yet, but
their population is dwindling. It's the only pond that's not netted so
anything can get in there. One day I found a box turtle on the filter. :-)
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.