Old 17-12-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Colin Jacobs Colin Jacobs is offline

Default Tiny flies in compost

Aha yes. I usually call these Banana flies or Fruit flies.
Very tiny and hard to get rid of my compost bean has plenty in summer
Col.
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
In the summer I planted some tamarind seeds in Aldi compost. They all

grew
and are now approximately 1' high and have been brought indoors to sit

on
a south-facing windowsill for the winter.

Unfortunately there now seems to be an abundance of small black flies
emerging from the pots (my fault for buying Aldi compost, I suppose). Is
there something I can drench the compost with to get rid of the little
bleeders?

Si

Sciarid flies are probably what you are seeing.
Various cures-but I usually use any household fly spray . The things breed
in wet compost so if spraying you will need regular blasts until all of

the
grubs have hatched.
Aldi compost is fine the flies found their way in after you bought it.