Old 17-12-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Albizia Julibrissin Rosea flowering in England ?

In article , Sacha writes:

| They seem to do well down here and our C.canadensis is smothered in flowers.
| I know Halesia does pretty well here and in the Cis where winters are milder
| than many parts of UK but where it is also wet. My son's garden has a
| Halesia planted years ago by his grandfather BUT, because he believed one
| saw it at its best if looking up into it, he planted his Halesia on a high
| bank, so perhaps the excellent drainage is a major factor there.

I lost one Halesia out of two this summer, and neither had exactly
thrived. I lost my seedling C. canadensis one winter, and it hadn't
grown very fast before that. However, I do get more of a frost+wet
mixture than you do, and I am 90% certain that the garden has some
root-attacking fungi in the soil. My seedling Albizia is still alive,
but hasn't so far made much more growth in a summer than it loses in
the winter. And Erythrina crista-galli seems similar.

I suspect that tenderness of that nature is more a matter of mixed
conditions than mere extremes - e.g. frost damages the roots, and
then the cool, wet ones allow attacks without enabling it to recover.
At least for SOME such plants!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.