Old 18-12-2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] bamboo@localnet.com is offline

Default Soil + Compost = nutritious??

You should be able to get a soil testr for a very nominal fee through
your cooperative extension service.
Anything else is just guessing.

Richard Ellis wrote:
Southern California; clay which started out as hard as rock and now I
can put a shovel into it with little trouble because I have been
composting it for 20+ years. Compost which includes grass cuttings;
Liquid Amber leaves; leftover kitchen veggie (including coffee grounds);
an occasional half-bag of steer and artichoke plant trimmings and stalks.

I have photos of my tomatoes (large plants, many large fruits) and
sunflowers (8' high with magnificent flowers!) from when I first started
gardening there.

question: after all this time, using the same 8' X 10' plot growing
tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini, does the soil need other
nutrients? I sometimes nourish the plants with Miracle Grow, but not
frequently or regularly (I think it helps).

My tomato plants are smaller and the yield sparse. Zucchinis only
occasionally produce - usually shrivel before getting any size to them.

Something needed?

Oh, and yes, I have been digging the compost into the soil - as well as
applying it on top for weed control and moisture retention.

help?

thanks,
de

--