Old 18-12-2006, 11:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H Linda H is offline

Default potting mix frustration

Farm1 wrote:

You can make your own if you have access to sand and buy some of those
compressed fibre blocks that you put into a bucket of water to soak
and then expand (made of coconut fibre or something like that) add
soem vermiculite too if you are using bigger seeds but not if you are
sowing fine seeds also add a minute amount of blood and bone but not
much. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I buy it but first time round it
might pay you to buy some so you can see what it looks like so you can
make it up later.

Don't use jiffy pots - a waste of tiem I've found.

Not fine enough for anything but big seeds like say broad bean seeds
but then you'd be sowing those direct anyway.

Thanks so much. Now I just have to find this thread again when I need it!