Old 24-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Removing Tool Rust?

Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:05:30 -0800, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
wrote:

John T. Jarrett wrote:

I don't have kerosene around...how about Coleman "white fuel"...close
enough?

WD40 is mostly kero.

You can buy a bottle of kerosene at WalMart as "lamp oil." Most of it
is scented and cost a bit more than the stuff you can buy at a gas
station.

I've read about a tip to prevent rust. Fill a large bucket with play
sand and mix in a couple quarts of used motor oil. Push your shovel
into the sand to store it there. The sand will clean your shovel and
the oil will prevent it from rusting. This is the lasy way. I sand
and sharpen (using a metal file) all my garden tools in preparation
for spring. It's really surprising how easy a sharp shovel or hoe
works.

You're preaching to the converted. Every woodworking tool I own will
shave hair. I actually sharpen new X-Acto knives before use. It DOES
make a difference.