Old 19-12-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gemstone Rivers Gemstone Rivers is offline

Default Master Gardener program

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:04:56 +0000 (UTC), Gemstone Rivers
wrote:

I'm not sure if this is nationwide or just in the Indiana area
(sponsored by Perdue University) but has anyone ever taken the Master
Gardener course? What was it like? Was it worth it? Opinions
welcome.

Thx.

It all hinges on how intelligent or open minded your horticultural
agent for the extension is. I went through three MG programs in three
different states many years ago and they gave virtually NO good
information outside their spray and kill notions. Things may be
different now.

You also have to volunteer a lot of hours to get certified. I say
start to go and make the decision when you see what it's all about.

I think you have to volunteer 35 hours here. That can be done at the
county fair, I suspect, where I spend a fair amount of time anyway.

Anyway, I'm set to start on Feb. 13 so I can give you a report on how it
works out here in the middle-of-nowhere Indiana if you'd like.