Old 24-03-2003, 05:56 AM
Huskies4all

Default Waiting for that first bloom!

In article ,
says...
Huskies4all wrote:
I have a pic of the tiny thing as of 2 days ago he
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...src=ph&.view=t

Wow. No wonder you wanted to save that rose! What a beauty. So as I
recall, you tried for a number of years to take cuttings and you
finally dug up a sucker...which looks like it wants to grow. What
beautiful flowers!

You recall correctly. I'm only slightly worried that the sucker will not
be true. Just about every cane on the bush seems to be a "sucker" so I
think it is on it's own root stock. It is gorgeous. When cared for, it
produces vast amounts of smallish (2-3" across) flowers that are sort of
"teacup" shaped. Pretty dense petals. Family legend is that she brought
it over on a wagon train.

Scent?

Some scent, I can't particularly remember what the scent is, but I'll let
you know when/if it blooms.

Does it rebloom? I ready your original post,
where you described it as a once bloomer.

I believe it's a once bloomer. We'll see what happens when it actually
recieves some water.

What state is this in?

I'm in Southern Idaho. The "high desert"

How big is that shrub? Looks 6 - 8 feet tall.

Yes, it's at least 8' tall. And absolutely NO water or care in a desert
for the past 20 years. I can't wait to see how it does with regular
watering and fertilizers.

And what color is it? Looks
golden to buff washed with cerise to crimson.

Yes, it is a very golden rose with tinges of pink to peach. The
pink/peach is usually toward the center, but on some individual flowers
can be on the edges of the petals.

This rose should be
preserved. Whoever owns that rose now, I think you said he wouldn't let
you dig it up, should be persuaded to let you take more "samples" so
you can be sure that several plants survive.

Well, the piece that I planted had a root section on it about 2 feet long
in an "L" shape from the main cane. Yesterday I noticed two "suckers"
coming up from that root. I'm considering letting them go ahead and
develop, then whack them off from the main plant to give me two more
specimens.

You need to give this rose a study name that you and everyone else can
used as a reference. snip Grandy'sGold..."
Heritage Rose Groups like the study name to not be too long
and to include a geographic reference. So....what's the name?

Gosh, I'll have to think about it. How about Lemmon's Immortal Idaho?
The "lemmon" will do for the family name and the color. LOL. The rose
has got to be nearly indestructible to survive the abuse it's had.

CJ