Old 19-12-2006, 01:22 PM posted to bionet.plants
UNDISCLOSED IDENTITY UNDISCLOSED IDENTITY is offline

Default Light used to help plant Photosynthesis

Hi Marc,

As another respondent has already told you, the way to go is definitely the
fluorescent tube style of bulb.

As he states, all standard formats (warm white, cool white, etc.) will do
the trick for you, but here in North America (I'm in Canada), there are
special plant grow fluorescents that have a broader spectrum of light and
definitely produce superior results growing plants. The slightly higher
prices over standard formats is worth the small price difference.

As the other person also stated, halogens generate enough heat to fry an egg
and an additional practical consideration is that your electricity bills
will go through the roof as the energy consumption is very high for
halogens. The average 122 cm fluorescent tube used to run 40 watts but the
new standard here is now around 32 watts, due to energy consumption
concerns.

Regards,

Gord,
Winnipeg Canada

"Kalisto" wrote in message
news
Hi
just wondering, can i use a normal Halogen Lamp to help my plant grow...
I'm in Sweden and its dark most of the day in winter.. do i need a special
lamp or will a high intensity halogen do the trick.

I don't need the plant to grow super fast, just survive it through the
winter.

/Marc