Old 19-12-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Welsh Witch Welsh Witch is offline

Default Can You Store Apples in an Open Barn?

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:58:10 +0000, Davy wrote:

I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage. My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

********************************
Gardening is very dangerous! Don't do what I did! I have been on about an
apple shed as we had at home...a small hut with slated shelves but no
luck here. We have some Bramley apples too many. We have offered them to
all and sundry who are too lazy to peel and cook them being apparently a
ready meal lot...Anyway I decided the apples must be saved at all costs as
they're totally organic and free.

My save the apples campaign led to many
many apple cakes, apple crumbles made with oats and nuts (too delicious
for words) apple everything including dorset cake etc. Result I have added
several pounds to my weight as have the others in the house now I have to
do mad exercises to get the extra weight off:-)

Why can't you shut off the front of the barn then your fruit would be
safe. You can get lots of free bits and pieces from builders who would
apparently have to pay for it to be taken away by some specially
qualifed person :-(

We made a huge greenhouse for £200. A builder was pulling down an arcade
of shops and gave us all the wood. We just had to buy the ridged perspex.
I am hoping to be able to make it share space with my sculpture plans for
the garden