Old 19-12-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Can You Store Apples in an Open Barn?

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Davy
writes
I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage.
My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing
apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

No. You will attract all sorts of vermin. Many years ago, I used to
store apples through the winter in old, washed pairs of nylon stockings or
tights. Just rub the apples over with lard or similar fat first, then drop
them in the stockings, tying a knot in the stocking between each apple.
You can then hang them from your shed ceiling without having to move your
tools. If one goes bad, you can just cut the stocking where the knot is,
so that the ones alongside don't suffer.

You have got me worried, I usually store mine in the shed, individually
wrapped in newspaper, and so far, thank goodness, I haven't noticed any
trouble, but I will go out in the morning to check them!

I have had mice in the greenhouse, eating my walnuts!

Alan

--
June Hughes