Old 19-12-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default My New allotment ( and neighbours)

jane wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:28:13 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Colin Jacobs" wrote

snipped

I think part of the fun of allotmenteering is peoplewatching. We have
some characters too! I suspect I'm one of them...

We have gone, in the past four years, from about half to 2/3 full to a
waiting list, thanks to having an Open Day and basically saying,
"yoohoo we're here!" to the town. So folk aren't cut as much slack as
previously; I think we're going to get a new tenancy agreement which
will lay down terms for cultivation levels and tidiness, and lay down
the terms for plot repossession in case of persistent neglect.

Of course the more folk you attract, the better, as it means there's a
greater chance of someone being there at all times and thus there's
less time for vandals to be able to do something on the QT.

I'd love to have an allotment, but I don't have the time to care for it.
Maybe later. However, another view is that if allotments were 'recovered' by
local authoritys, we would get yet more housing, and less 'green' areas. So,
if you do have an allotment, do keep it going in a growing condition.
--
ßôyþëtë
(Wilibald Cotton of Overhill)