Old 21-12-2006, 06:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Veggies for Sandy soil

In article , "Luke"
wrote:

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I've recently gone through
a riverchange (moved from Adelaide to the beautiful river town of Mannum).
The house we've moved into has a little veggie patch in the front yard which
gets full sun pretty much all day and the soil is quite sandy. My question
is what sort of veggies will grow well here, bearing in mind as of January 1
we have major water restrictions.

I have no experience with sandy soils, but root vegies generally do well in
sandy soil because it is easy to push through. Carrots, parsnips, etc prefer
it.

Any ideas for what I could plant now and
then down the track what are good winter and summer veggies for this soil.
Or should I be trying to improve the soil.

Definitely, because the down side of sandy soil is that it doesn't retain
water very well.

Another question, is horse poo a good manure compared to chook or cow? many
people here sell horse poo for $2 a bag (the bag is huge) not sure whether
the poo is good for gardens or not

Horse poo is quite variable. It is a 'cool' poo, unlike fresh chook or moo
poo, so it won't burn your plants and will increase the water-holding capacity
of your soil -- the flip side is that it isn't high in nitrogen, unless it
includes the horse wee as well (ie, is from a stables).
Some people here have said that horse poo from a freshly-wormed horse will
kill garden worms and other critters.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue