Old 21-12-2006, 07:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] brucef@eudoramail.com is offline

Default Veggies for Sandy soil

Chookie wrote:
all good stuff
Horse poo is quite variable. It is a 'cool' poo, unlike fresh chook or moo
poo, so it won't burn your plants and will increase the water-holding capacity
of your soil -- the flip side is that it isn't high in nitrogen, unless it
includes the horse wee as well (ie, is from a stables).
Some people here have said that horse poo from a freshly-wormed horse will
kill garden worms and other critters.

I said that, but it may be just an urban myth. My main objection
to horse poo is that you get lots of weeds, because horse
digestion is pretty primitive compared to cow or sheep. If it
were cheap and readily available then I would probably use
it anyway. You could always compost it first.