Old 21-12-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Can You Store Apples in an Open Barn?

"Welsh Witch" wrote
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:44:39 +0100, JennyC wrote:
I am hoping to be able to make it share space with my sculpture plans
for
the garden

Ah ha - do tell us more. I too have plans in that direction if/when we go
France......
I'm thinking ferro cement constructions......or maybe welded
pieces............. jenny

The only "more" I can tell you is here
http://www.walk-wales.org.uk/witchsgardenmarch02.htm
My partner you can see made the greenhouse. Down the righthand side I had
a railway sleeper which with great determination and self denial I moved
myself from the top of the garden/ Then I filled the space with compost to
experiment with growing various veg. through the winter.

WOW - its huge :~))
Can see you've done a LOT of work on the garden.
Got any pictures after dec 2004 ?

Not a successful result...they all grew but not in the quantity...so I
decided to take out the compost and fill it with sand! My daughter is a
help and not a help to the sculpture. She lectures in art and political
history and has lots of instructions for me which include wire/chicken
wire etc to use as a base.

Have a look at these:
http://www.ferrocement.com/ - technique (lots of big structures but you'll
get the idea)
http://www.deborahswhitman.net/ferro.html examples of sculptures

But I had I thought a better idea:-) I wanted to make a couple of
classical god type figures so when Littlewoods was closing down in the
town I asked them how much they wanted for their mannequins. They are
normally very expensive! I had a male and a female... one was £50 and the
other they let me have for £10 as they were hot and bothered with the
moving.
I now propose to wedge them into the sand in the greenhouse to make an
impression line it with plastic and then fill it with cement. "You wont be
able to lift it" everyone's crowing...we'll see!

Brilliant idea. We have a glass sculpture made like that. The sculptress
laid down and made an impression of herself in sand. She then poured molten
(recycled) glass into the indenture. The effect is stunning and hangs nicely
on our chimney breast :~))

You can make a mould of both sides and fit them together. You'll get a sort
of rough 'weathered finish if you don't use plastic, but pour straight into
the sand.

Not strictly ethical but I want some statues I can't possibly afford at
the moment... to be ethical is not my greatest ambition:-)

indeed :~))

Lots of the family are talking about moving to France...ooooh I don't know
about leaving this country I would be terribly afraid of others moving in
and taking it all over and then we couldn't ever come back.

Bit of a globetrotter me........I haven't lived in the Uk for at least 35
years, so doesn't really apply !!

Jenny