Old 22-12-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Albizia Julibrissin Rosea flowering in England ?

On 22/12/06 09:30, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes:

| That's absolutely fascinating, Chris and probably explains why one side of
| our garden seems different to the other!!

That's not uncommon. East Anglia is geologically something that makes
that almost the norm! Over the past few million years, it has been
built up from sea bed sand, alluvial detritus, glacial moraine, peat
accumulation, lake and river bed sand, ooze and clay and God alone
knows what else. The layers are often only a foot or so thick, and
area easy to wash away.

Much of it has chalk underneath, but the surface is a right mixture.

Everything has to start somewhere, of course but it is amusing to see how
strong the differences can be. We planted a much treasured rhododendron on
the 'wrong' side of the garden and the damn thing has all but died, been dug
up and is being nursed along in a pot. OTOH, a little higher up the garden
though on the same side, another of the same variety 'Lady Alice
Fitzwilliam' is flourishing, so perhaps the first was just a duff plant.
The funny thing is that Camellias do well there and rhodies really flourish
on the other side of the garden where Hyams planted the 'rhododendron walk'.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk