Old 22-12-2006, 11:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_4_] Jonno[_4_] is offline

Default potting mix frustration

Farm1 wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

But back to t he problem you're having with the seeds living. At

what
stage does this happen? could they be dieing from a damping off
problem?

no.... where it's happened was about the 4 leaf stage. they'd just

sit
there, not growing, & not really dying either.

That sounds like a nutrient problem. I think that the previous
suggestions to add some fertiliser might fix that problem - nothing
will grow in pine bark even if it's well rotted pine bark.

then things like hot days or
whatnot would wipe them out,

Well, we've all been there at some stage :-)) But add some of the
water crystals and see if that improves things or try the Debco stuff
or one of the other expensive brands or mix your own. I resent the
prices I have to pay but I found the cheap stuff was so ghastly and
was really a "non growing" media that I think of that every time I
shell out a small fortune for a few bags of the Debco. I now recycle
spent potting mix by adding both water crystals and fertiliser.

or, i'd think "i'll plant them out & they'll
have to take their chances". overall, planting out helped those

which
survived the ministrations of the wingless grasshoppers. either way,

they
lived or were eaten, so that was that, i was happy :-)

Do you use a weak seaweed emulsion when you plant them out? I've
found this is a good trick to help transplanted seedlings survive.
some of the lack of growth in mix might have been my fault, but

then, it's
not possible for it _only_ to have been my fault!

No. I think its more likely to be the brand you're using.

tomatoes, a prime
example. out of one billion seeds planted, only four got to the

point where
they were even big enough to pot on. the rest just lingered in a

state of
suspended animation. some others were basil, comfrey, echinacea,

celery,
broccoli. there were others too, not coming to my addled pre-xmas mi

nd just
atm.

I think you've just defined the 'non growing' factor I mentioned :-))

i have, however, taken on board chookie's suggestion to give it
vitamins :-)

Chookie suggested adding "vitamins" to the potting mix you are

using.
Since the brand of potting mix you are using isn't working this

would
be worth a try as would adding water crystals and something like a
granular food that becomes soluble over a long time - I think

Osmacote
is such a brand. Most of the cheaper brands seem to mostly be
pulverised pine bark and I can't imagine anything doing well in

them
but givent hat it will cost you to add all these essential

ingredients
it may just be cheaper int eh long run to buy a good quality

potting
mix and be done with it. I now buy Debco Terracotta and Tub all

the
time as it seems to be a good product and I've had no problems

with
it.

i can try debco, prior to giving up entirely :-) i haven't been

impressed
with amgrow, that's for sure. & i'll try to do the right thing & get

some
seed mix, & see if that helps in future.
thanks!!

Good luck!

You cant beat making your own by having an great aerated 44 gallon drum
filled with all your goodies, adding lime and fowl manure, waiting for
12 months or so and it comes out nice and crumbly. I pulled apart an old
concrete incinerator and used this and unfortunately sent it to the tip
last month, but the stuff I pulled out of it was 2000 % better than
anything I could have brought. I may be prone to exageration a times ,
but this stuff is now growing some great water melons and rock melons.
Its not nice encouraging Debco by paying them exorbitant prices for
something that you can grow your self for free.