Old 23-12-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Welsh Witch Welsh Witch is offline

Default Strong tools anyone?

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:16:22 +0000, Lez Pawl wrote:

"R i c h a r d" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend and point me to a supplier or maker of durable basic
garden tools. The shops are full of stainless steel hoes, trowels, forks
etc which look nice but unless they are used on stone free fine tilth bend
or break. this year I've been through 3 trowels, snapped a stainless
dutch hoe and bent a stainless border fork. I am reluctant to keep buying
brittle/bendy shoddy tools that look the business but don't really cut it.
Has anyone else had the same experience?
The garden I work is stony ie natural occurring flints but also some
rubble. Personnel recommendations appreciated!

Joe public are not aware that Stainless Steel is SOFT compared to carbon
steel.

While it looks great, it does not bode well for bending especially
considering the diameter at its neck to length of handle. They suffer
plenty bending moment.

in fact they are only good for commemorative planting of trees/plants
where the press are taking pictures of either the Mayor or a celebrity
is holding it 1ft from the sod.

Good old fashioned carbon steel is the thing...............when you can
find it. I find the local amenity tip to be the best
place............where folks are throwing away their good stuff for
their new stainless steel acquisition.

We've been very lucky or unlucky ...We been left five houses full of
things. Amongst the items were various garden tools must be from the
Victorian era. I have never bought any shiny new things that do any job
except to look smart deceitfully!
The best spade has a razor sharp edge and knife through butters every bit
of ground.
I do get into severe trouble for leaving things out in the rain and the
handles break which are wooden...but still they are such old favourites.