Old 24-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Winter Snow Damage

Carl L Rosner wrote:

Carol:
Even if you were able to reattach the branch and it took (leaves
appeared past the break), it would always be a weak point in your tree.
if it were my tree I would consider restyling the tree.

Carl L. Rosner

It would probably depend on the species. I don't know about white pine or azaleas.
I've had mixed results with doing this. Last year a parson's juniper was blown
over in a windstorm. The apex got whacked. The branch was dangling and I really
wanted to save it. It was broken about 3/4 of the way through. I wrapped it in
raffia, wired it into place, and left it for the season. In the fall it was healed
through. Now as I look at it there is no swelling and you'd never know it had
broken.

I've tried the same think with an Ilex crenata 'Helleri' with no success.

So, it depends.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a