Old 25-12-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarriorElf FragileWarriorElf is offline

Default "Perfect" lawns are hideous

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:05:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf
wrote:

EEK! Full of mud?? Who? Where? No, no mud anywhere except for the
last photo of the draft horse where he's mud up to the knees. (Our
pasture is a swamp right now after this week's rain.) Both horses are
four years old.

In this photo he looks injured on his haunch, but I thought it could
also have been after a long rain. He's beautiful!

He's just been unsaddled after a long summer ride. He's sweaty AND trying
to catch a quick nap before his bath. He always cocks a leg when he
sleeps. Didn't your horses?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14514...65994325IEAawT

No, not a draft. I just used two thousand as a round number in
pounds. I had an appalousa with the smoothest gait and I never needed
a saddle unless we were riding the coral for something special. What
precious animals.

And just to bring it back on topic: Exactly how long does manure have to
be composted before it's used?

Well, if you mix it with your alfalfa hay (never coastal bermuda) or
pine bedding, you continue to turn it every few days. When it no
longer heats up it can be used. Be aware that horse manure has a TON
of weed seeds in it and the heat does not always kill the seeds.

No alfalfa hay for drafts; just simple grass hay. No sweet feed either.
They're easy keepers.