Old 26-12-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Mitch Mitch is offline

Default Bamboo Privacy Screen

I'm looking for recommendations for the variety, spacing, and
planting of a bamboo to QUICKLY grow privacy screen in Victoria BC
(Zone 9).

If you wouldn't mind providing a few suggestions, here is my
situation:

· The ideal bamboo would grow to 20' (6 meters) very quickly.
· Any growth above the 20' (6 meter) minimum is not a significant
concern.
· The length of the screen we plan on growing is 60' (18 meters).
· The area we plan to plant is now partially shaded, but once the
bamboo reaches 15' (4.5 meters) and clears some cedars it should have
full sun.
· Leaves for privacy are not needed below the 5' (1.5 meter) fence
height, and we like the look of bare culms for the first few feet off
the ground.
· The area we need to screen for privacy is between 5' (1.5 meters)
and 20' (6 meters) from the ground, and any growth over 20' (6
meters) is not an issue.
· While the screen will be planted along a 60' (18 meter) fence, we
would prefer a narrow dense long line of bamboo rather than a thick
bushy grove. Imagine a solid bamboo fence with a leafy canopy.
· We would prefer a green over a yellow colour, but cost is a greater
factor, so we don't need any exotic species (perhaps later for
strictly ornamental purposes).

I do plan on digging a trench, adding good soil and compost manure.
We will use a barrier to prevent the bamboo from migrating over to the
neighbor's property, and I'm prepared to spend the time required to
maintain the grove.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide... Mitch