Old 24-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Technology Graphics

Default Advice! Plants beneath sycamore?

Hi,

Can anybody held me with some suggestions?

I moved into a brand new house 18 months ago and I got the plot with the
mature trees in the garden, which I like, however the downside is that some
of them are sycamore trees.

They look okay but nothing seems to grow underneath them, I wanted to create
a mass of shrubs for all year round colour and easy maintenance so I've
planted pieris, rhododendron and various conifers. Most of these plants are
barely alive, the only plants that have done reasonably well are some laurel
which I am growing into a hedge although even these are half the size of
ones I have planted elsewhere.

The reason for the problem is I suspect the sticky muck that falls like a
light drizzle. Some times the car is covered in it and it is so thick that
it takes a few squirts of the washers to get the windscreen clear.

There are some pictures that I took of the situation last August at this
address......

http://www.sytec.u-net.com/sycamore/index.htm

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thanks
Janet