Old 26-12-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Preparing to keep chickens

In message , Muddymike
writes
"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I have a chicken house and run which have not bee used for over five
years. The house is in good condition but the run, which is quite a
large area, has become completely over-run with nettles.

Knowing how chooks can turn any area into a desert, I wouldn't bother
to clean it up. The chooks will do it well enough.

My experience of keeping chickens for a few years is that;

a. They are the most stupid creatures you will ever own.
b. They will destroy all green life in the immediate vicinity of the coop
EXCEPT nettles.
c. There is always one that can escape no matter how high the run fence is.
d. The best layer will die for no apparent reason.
e. There will be no eggs on the day you need them most.
f. The cockerel will be the first into the oven.

Yes to the first five. Never had a cockerel. I think Janet may have
kept chickens before, from what she said. We had eggs almost every day
but as you say, the site becomes a mess, despite the poo being useful
for compost after a few months.
--
June Hughes