Old 26-12-2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default "Perfect" lawns are hideous

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:42:09 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarriorElf
wrote:

I know they just don't need the rich diet but I can't even remember why,
exactly, anymore. (Studied up before I got him and then just stuck to
the plan. I think it's pretty hard to founder them, though. He once
ate his way through a half a garbage can of oiled oats with no problem at
all. I have given him a flake or two of alfalfa for a treat now and
then, but I'm really glad I don't have to buy him bales of the stuff.
It's great to get in a 1/2 ton round grass hay bale and just let him eat
and eat and eat. Great cost savings and he thinks they're SUCH fun.

Just curious, doesn't the 1/2 ton round start to decompose in the
center? How long does it take you kids to eat that bale?

For gardening sake, it's not bad to make compost with horse manure and
coastal bermuda, but the seeds stay in the compost, even after it's
fully finished. So, just something to think about.