Old 24-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Sarah Sinclair

Default Some feedback needed for a garden project.

"Emil" wrote in message ...
Hi guys,
I posted this on rec.gardens but nobody responded. :-(
I hope my fellow rose people can help!

There is a link to a pic of an area of my garden at the end of the post.

I want to make it into a bbq area/sitting area at a low cost. My idea is

to remove all those weeds in that square area. Put down maybe a couple
of layers of newspaper, 1 layer of plastic weed block and cover it all
with a couple of inches of mulch.

The blue line is all the way to a lime tree that I can't remove.
So from that blue line it goes to the green line. At the end of the
green line is another tree (tree x) that has to stay. Between the lime
tree and tree x I was thinking of putting a 2 layer high stone wall.
Also from the lime tree to tree x it is not a straight line. Tree x is
about 2 feet in, so if I put a stone wall or a fence, a right angle will

occur. But looking at Home Depots website, it seems like a big job.
Having to dig down 12 inches for the first layer, etc etc. Plus the
expense of the stone blocks is a consideration.

For a visual effect, maybe I will put a picket fence in place of the
stone wall?

Link to the pic:http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=5668

Any suggestions from the group is appreciated.

Thanks,
Emil

I had a similar problem in my own garden where I wanted to create a
flat seating area on a slight slope with minimum costs. I dug out some
of the earth, but not to a great depth, lets not make this too
arduous. I then put down some plastic liner, which can be brought very
cheaply and log roll edging and filled the area with pebbles. I now
have may own beach. With a bench and grasses and hostas in pots and
some driftwood it looks great.