Old 27-12-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default Preparing to keep chickens

June Hughes wrote in
:

In message 8, Tom
Gardner writes
"Mike" wrote in
:

The only fear there is them becoming crop bound

If that happens, we have found a useful technique
is to soak some bread in cooking oil, feed it to
the chicken, wait a couple of hours, then massage
the crop. After 2-3 days the mass in the crop will
be substantially smaller.

Or in an emergency - ie looks on its last legs - hold it upside down by
its feet. It will flap a lot and should release whatever is in its
crop.

We've seen - I mean felt - golfball-sized smooth
"plastercine" lumps in the crop. I know their
throats are bigger than you think, but even so ... !

This occurred after eating too many sprout leaves
and too much grass.