Old 27-12-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Growing Veg without a Geenhouse

On 27/12/06 12:47, in article
, "Red Tomato"
wrote:

Hi

Greenhouses only extend the growing season a little especially if they
are unheatd, I have grown my own tomatoes, courgettes, peppers and
cucumbers for a few years without (starting off the plants on a
windowsill etc. ) and also with a greenhouse. If you post what you
intend to grow we canmaye give more specfic advice

Although it's useful, rather than essential, a heated greenhouse means you
can start e.g. tomato plants rather earlier. Ray planted ours a little
while ago (Jersey Sunrise) and they're about 3" high and have been potted on
once already. His father (when they grew toms commercially) insisted the
seeds were put in on 15 November but that was in heated and huge
greenhouses, too. Ray tells me that one year his father insisted the seeds
were planted so as to coincide with the waxing moon, as did a lot of older
gardeners and nurserymen and they reached the potting on stage just over
Christmas, when there were no staff available. The family was NOT
pleased..... ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk