Old 28-12-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Rodent ring-barking remedy?

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:16:53 GMT
"Kaz" wrote:

Thank you for the tips. I had assumed it was mice doing the damage as the
damage never reaches more than around 6 inches from ground level and the
teeth marks are tiny. From the forestresearch website it would point more
towards Voles. Someone I spoke to suggested tarring the stems but I think it
may only have been a stab in the dark.

Hello Christina,

I'm a bit confounded by your problem because, as Cliff pointed out, both
mice and voles tend to chew where they have good approach cover. Keeping
an area clear of weeds and grass is usually enough; so they won't bother
trees in pots typically. (At least in my experience). I'm guessing that
rabbits are a more likely culprit. Some sort of chicken wire around the
edge of the pots would stop them, or wrap a bit of plastic mesh and "sew"
it around the trunk.

Whatever you do don't paint the bark of any Acer with tar, you will be
asking for all kinds of trouble even if you don't kill it outright.

Good luck,

-E

"Kaz" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have an effective method of preventing mice from ring-barking
saplings? I have just lost several dozen potted Acers, Willows and fruit
trees (and last winter and the winter before!). Any ideas gratefully
received.
Christina

--
Emery Davis