Old 29-12-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Garden 2007

Dear Colleagues in Dirt,

I'm beginning to think about my garden and what's going to be growing in
it in 2007.

I believe it would be instructive for all of us, especially for us
newbies, if we could share ideas on garden prep and maybe advocate for
some less well known plants who have ingratiated themselves to the
cultivators who cared for them.

I'm trying the wide beds approach with plants that compliment each
other. Previously, I've grown my garden in clay, lightly amended clay,
and lately in heavily amended clay (I was impressed with the
difference.). That amending was at the expense of some $, a lot
of shoveling, and wheel barrowing. This year I'm trying green manure.
I'm already on a terrace, so I haven't thought much about raising beds.
So, as I said, I'm trying green manure this year with the thought in
mind that I may have to still add some amendments (sand, manure, etc.).

Two years ago I planted two zucchini and one crook-neck and was
overwhelmed with squash, Last year I planted one and one and the
production was pitiful.

Last year was the first time that I tried to grow late harvest tomatoes
(heirloom) because of the situation of my garden, vis--vis the Sun, but
I am a believer now. I will still grow some ²Juliets² and ³Early Girls².
They just seem to be more resilient.

Basil in pots work for me. Maybe the clay soil just doesn't get warm
enough. Same spot, one basil in the ground, the other in a pot, the one
in the ground struggles to survive. The Basil in the pot grows thick and
dense into a bush (in the non-pejorative sense).

I'll probably cut back on the winter squash and replace the pumpkin with
acorn squash.

This year I will work on my timing for the peas (plant for cool
weather) and beans (plant for hot weather).

I also need to work on tagging the herbs that I start from seed, so that
I will know which is what.

Anyone else care to throw-in their two cents worth?

- Bill

Coloribus, gustibus non disputatum