Old 29-12-2006, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman cineman is offline

Default OT Outlook Express

Hi,
look at this solution first. check setting such as SMTP or SMPT ? POP3
without any spaces. I have made that mistake (once)

Then try this and post back here if not working.

a.. Click the Start button then RUN type in cmd on (Windows NT/2000/XP) or
Command (Windows 95/98/ME). This will open a new command prompt window, with
white text on a black screen.

a.. Type in the following exactly as it appears. You will not see what you
are entering so take it slowly, and if you make a mistake, start again.
telnet pop3.btconnect.com' and then click the Enter key on your keyboard.
You will then be connected to the email server.

a.. Type in USER followed by your email address e.g. USER ********and then
click the Enter key. You will then get a message +OK Please enter your pass,
with the PASS command

a.. Type in PASS followed by your password e.g. PASS joblog0370 and click
the Enter key. If it is correct, you will get an OK Well done message.

a.. If you can do this, you have connected to the bt server and so the
problem lies somewhere with Outlook Express.

This problem can be caused by antivirus software changing settings such as
ports.
If running windows XP click start, all programmes, accessories, command
prompt
and type in ping pop3.btconnect.com and see what happens.
What antivirus are you using,? which operating system ?

Now look here for microsoft assistance with outlook express.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
sorry about long post hope it doesnt upset anyone.
regards
Cineman

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just one
particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what to do
about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error message
get. (the fault is constant on this account, but intermittent on another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com',
Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk