Old 29-12-2006, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_4_] Jonno[_4_] is offline

Default frost question

Linda H wrote:

I'd be interested to hear other's views on frost, too Kylie.

I live in the Yarra Valley (Vic.) and recently a surprise severe frost
took its toll on some of the big vineyards (Oct or Nov I think?) and
much good new growth was badly damaged. I forgot the what the estimate
in monetary damage they (the vineyards as a group) claimed but I think
it was in the millions.

What I did notice particularly was that the obvious damage was to where
the vines were at their lowest at bottoms of hills.

On that morning the bigger vineyards had helicopters going over them but
they still lost a lot of crops. It made me wonder what they do when a
severe frost is forecast. Do they drag mesh or some other protection
over them? (Like the bird nets they drag over them?) Would that help
or would the expense of a different set of covers be just too expensive?

For home gardeners,If you want to go to the trouble of running a big fan
in your garden it will prevent frost. Otherwise cover plants up, also
helps to have 44 gal drums with water in them parked near plants. The
water picks up enough heat during the day to keep plants from getting
completely chilled.
Frost (rivers of cold air) travels down gullies. The helicopters stop it
from settling. Apparently watering the plants with water (when
frosted), instead of thawing them out by themselves, prevents some damage.