Old 29-12-2006, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Albizia Julibrissin Rosea flowering in England ?

In article .com,
"DavePoole Torquay" writes:

| ... I'm sure it can cope with winter
| cold, but it needs lots of summer heat if it is to perform well. This
| year we had plenty of that and the Lagerstroemia responded accordingly.

Aargh! YOU may have done, but most of the country didn't!

Yes, July was unusually hot and dry, but it was wet and gloomy from
the beginning of August onwards - none of my vegetables that need a
decent late summer did at all well. And, here, it wasn't warm enough
to get plants to cropping state by the start of July :-(

The same applied even to some flowers - I had damn few on my passion
flowers, though a hell of a lot of foliage.

Not all parts were as wet, but most were as gloomy. Yes, it was warm,
but warmth and sunlight aren't the same, and there wasn't a single
HOT day after the end of July :-(

Let's see if my Albizia keeps its new growth through the winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.